Post #1... here we go... deep breath.
I'm 35 years old, I live in Juneau, Alaska, and I weigh 265.5 pounds. I've got a good job, play lots of music in my free time, have a cozy condo, the obligatory Subaru, a wonderful boyfriend, two cats and a dog, yet one big piece of my life that I'm not happy with is my health and weight by way of lifestyle and dietary choices. I've always been on the big side... ever since high school or before, but I feel that things have gotten out of hand in recent years. Since moving to Alaska three years ago, I've gained roughly 40 pounds. Not cool. I was even embarrassed to go back to my hometown this Christmas to see people who haven't seen in years. I'm sure they noticed the transformation.
So here I am. It's New Year's Eve, and I seriously want to lose 100 pounds in 2016. Welcome to 2016minus100.
I've already started to make a few small changes to get ready for this upcoming challenge. I finally got around to buying a scale. I haven't had one in my home in years. I've been scared to have one around because I knew the news was going to be bad. Side story: one of the events that prompted me to get more serious was going to the doctor for some routine tests a few weeks back, and the first thing they did was weigh me. Oh my god. I knew I had gained weight, but I was close to 270! That was a shock.
I've downloaded My Fitness Pal onto my phone... again. I've tried using it a few times before but let it fizzle out after a few days or maybe a couple of weeks. I've programmed it with the goal to lose 2 pounds/week. 2 pounds x 52 weeks should get me to my goal by New Year's next year if I can stick to the plan.
I renewed my pool membership. At $40/month, it's the best "fitness club" deal in town. I started going earlier in the Fall with a cousin for whom swimming was the only kind of exercise that was comfortable for her due to some health issues. As a kid, I did swim team for many years so getting back into the pool for lap swimming felt very familiar to me. The city pool also has some free weights and few simple exercise machines like recumbent bicycles (I haven't used those yet). There's also a really nice sauna. I love saunaing.
One of my challenges/excuses in the past has been my busy schedule. I have a regular 9-5 type job, I'm in a Masters program at University of Alaska Southeast, and I also play in several musical ensembles in town including the Juneau Symphony. Add into that a dog and boyfriend, and there's not a ton of time left to concentrate on fitness.
Yeah, Dominos Pizza has been my kryptonite. In like 4 clicks of the mouse, I can have a pepperoni pizza delivered to my door in 30 minutes when I'm too tired or lazy to put effort into a good meal. Let's also not get started on all of the box wine and beer that has been consumed in the last couple of years.
I think the key to my success is moderation. I don't want to completely give up my indulgences, but they need to be regulated. Currently, My Fitness Pal says I can consume 1700 calories on a slightly active day (I think most days qualify as slightly active due to dog time or rehearsals). Add in pool exercise or hiking, and that number goes up. I've been logging my food and activity for three days now, and I'm already pleased with how far 1700 calories go if I'm being more conscious about what goes in my mouth.
Okay let's go! Happy New Year, y'all!





No comments:
Post a Comment